At kaKhulu Karoo, lions roar as they always have, and dazzling herds of zebra and wildebeest decorate the plains, blissfully unaware of the chaos ravaging human society beyond the fences of the Magic Hills reserve.
But how the world has changed! And we commit to adhering to the safety and hygiene protocols required to facilitate a COVID-free environment for the security and peace of mind of our guests. The following practices are in place to ensure your safety:
- On arrival, we ask that you wear a face mask that covers your nose and mouth. Our welcoming staff will be wearing the same for your protection.
- Alcoholic liquid hand sanitizer will be made available on arrival, and at all public areas around the kaKhulu Karoo units
- A sanitized pen will be provided for all paperwork to be completed on arrival.
- We’ll take your temperature, using a handheld infrared thermometer.
- At any time that we handle your luggage, our staff will sanitize hands, as well as your luggage, in our commitment to ensure totally hygienic interactions.
- Your self-catering unit, brick hide, or elevated timber hide, will have been thoroughly sanitized prior to your arrival. No staff will be permitted to enter your accommodation between sanitation and check-in.
- Once you have checked in and settled into your new Karoo home, you are welcome to remove your mask.
- All linen and towels in the self-catering units have been washed on high heat and ironed, prior to being fitted in your room.
- The communal kitchen at kaKhulu Karoo that services the self-catering apartments will be cleaned and sanitized daily.
- We urge guests to make regular use of the liquid hand sanitizers in the kitchen and other public areas, regularly and prior to food preparation.
- You will be required to wear a mask when making use of the communal kitchen at kaKhulu Karoo, unless you are traveling as part of a group that is making exclusive use of the entire facility.
- Our friendly staff will take your temperature each and every day, using an infrared thermometer.
- Our self-catering apartments will be sanitized on a daily basis.
Game Drive Procedures and other Activities
- Our game vehicles will be thoroughly sanitized between each drive.
- Each guest will be required to sanitize their hands prior to boarding the vehicle.
- We have reduced our game drive capacity to six guests maximum, unless you are traveling as a group of people.
- You will not be required to wear a mask on the game drive, but welcome to do so if you wish.
- Should you be issued with a blanket on a cold game drive, we urge you not to share this with anyone else during your stay.
- Game drive snacks will be provided in sealed, sanitized containers, and refreshments will be served under strict hygiene conditions.
Food and Beverage Procedures
- All crockery, cutlery and glassware will go through high-heat washing and sanitizing procedures between uses.
- Where staff is required to handle food and crockery, regular hand sanitizing will be mandatory, as well as the wearing of a mask.
- The self-catering communal kitchen at kaKhulu Karoo will be maintained under strict hygiene conditions.
- We encourage guests to try to rotate their use of the communal kitchen to facilitate the practice of social distancing.
- Seating areas will be spaciously arranged, to encourage social distancing.
- We understand that sharing a braai among fellow travellers is a wonderfully South African thing to do. We ask that social distancing be practiced between parties, and that braai facilities are not shared simultaneously.
Staff Health Procedures
- All of the staff at kaKhulu Karoo will undergo daily temperature checks, using an infrared thermometer.
- Our staff have been thoroughly trained on the nature of the COVID-19 virus, and the measures required to minimize risk to each other and guests. Training will be refreshed regularly and policed by our on-site compliance officer.
- Staff will wear masks at all times, whether interacting with guests or conducting duties behind the scenes.
- Staff are required to sanitize their hands regularly.
- Reception and public areas.
- Communal indoor areas, such as kitchens and lounges.
- Any dining areas shared with other guest parties.
- In your own accommodation.
- On game drives, or game hikes.
- Outdoor areas where social distancing is adhered to, such as the swimming pool, braai areas, and outdoor activities.
- Facilities shared with your own travelling party, especially where a group or family has booked kaKhulu exclusively.
Travel Regulations in the Times of COVID-19
At kaKhulu Karoo, we endeavour to remain current on tourism regulations in COVID-19 lockdown stages. As the regulations progress in an ever-changing environment, we encourage you to take time to understand and prepare for any documentation that you may be required to carry with you while travelling.
Should you have any uncertainty on this, please do not hesitate to get in touch with our team.